Submitted by Andrew Muthee
Brief background about myself:
On a personal note, I am a husband and a father of four amazing children. I love my family fiercely and they challenge me to be more and do more with every new day that I live. I am grateful for the opportunity to raise responsible God fearing citizens who can be leaders today and tomorrow.
I am a 1999 graduate of USIU – Africa where I studied a Bsc in International Business Administration (Marketing Option) and a Masters in Business Administration (class of 2007).
I am also a proud Alumni of Starehe Boys Centre (class of 1995) where I gained basic life skills through interaction with the great Dr. Geoffrey William Griffin – I owe a lot of my success to the great foundation that he laid in the lives of us boys.
I began my career in Sales and Marketing 22 years ago (in November 1999) as an Area Sales Representative working for Proctor and Gamble selling products that you may be familiar with (e.g. Aerial washing powder, Always Sanitary towels, Vicks Kingo etc) to local retail stores. I spent 4 years at this organization rising up to the level of Customer Marketing Manager.
My next assignments which also represents my longest stint in the Corporate world was with Colgate Palmolive where I spent the period 2002 up to 2011 in various roles (selling brands such as Colgate toothpaste, toothbrushes, Protex and StaSoft among others). I rose up the ranks and my final and most senior role was a regional role as a General manager, Southern Africa. It was at Colgate Palmolive that I spent a number of years living abroad – first in New York (2006 – 2007) and later in South Africa (2008 – 2010).
I spent a total of over 13 years in the corporate world within sales and marketing, gaining invaluable experience in Strategic Planning, Retail Operations, Distribution Management, Product Launch Promotions, Customer Relationship Management and
My greatest achievement in my career so far has been founding and running AMG Realtors Limited – a Kenyan Real Estate company that has grown in leaps and bounds since 2012. With the 62 permanent employees currently on our payroll, we have sold over 4000 acres of real estate to date, we have over 5000 clients and are a pioneer in introducing Nanyuki to Kenyans living in Kenya and all over the world.
We are very proud of the fact that our mission and vision are all aligned towards providing our customers with the best experience in land investment while doing business with integrity for every single one of them.
What I know for sure at this stage in life?
- Everything I am, everything I have, everything I have achieved – I owe it all to my Father in heaven;
- It won’t happen unless I do the work ( God has given me responsibility for my own success so I need to make a decision and get on with it);
- We do not live this life alone, therefore I must take others along with me in the journey of life – teamwork, sharing experiences and being generous.
- Responsibility for the community and giving back – throughout life, I have become more and more aware of how privileged I am and how much others lack. I have been constantly challenged to give back on a personal level. I sit on the board of Akiba School in Kangemi (Westlands) as well as Gaichanjiru High School (Murang’a County)
- Currently, through AMG Foundation – an NGO set up under the AMG Realtors Limited umbrella, we are changing lives in our hometown through the set-up of resource centers where students from underprivileged homes can access reading materials for free.
My role in mentorship?
As an employer of many young people, I feel a responsibility to share life lessons learnt as I interact with my staff every day. I am grateful for the opportunity to interact with the youth and people who are interested in starting up businesses in a very authentic way.
Hobbies and other interests
In no particular order:
- I love spending time with my family – I am deliberate about dropping my kids off to school in the mornings, date night with my wife on Fridays and spending Sunday with the entire family;
- I love Cars of every kind. I have a dream to own a collection of exotic cars. I often take long drives to relax.
- I enjoy travelling to different countries and experiencing different cultures – in total I have visited 57 countries of the world
- I love Comedy and Action movies (and WhatsApp status)
- I love to read books that stimulate my mind with ideas on how to grow my business and do it differently; and
- I enjoy meeting other like-minded men to discuss issues that affect us in life every day. To this end I am a member of the National Prayer Breakfast and an investment group called ‘Therema’.
Share with Your Networks